The University of Kansas

Engineering growth

Fulbright Scholar builds on KU experience

Getting to see President Barack Obama up close when he visited KU’s Lawrence campus was an unexpected experience for visiting Fulbright Scholar Netty Malca Pérez.

"It changed my life," says the Peru native, who sat on stage behind Obama when he spoke Jan. 22, 2015, at KU.

Malca Pérez, a graduate student in the engineering management program at KU’s Edwards Campus, says she had other life-changing experiences at KU: She volunteered.

She lived with an American family to give her a better understanding of the culture. She learned to swim through the KU Swim Club and actively competed.

Now Malca Pérez wants to change the lives of others. When she receives a master’s degree in May, she will take her engineering and management skills back home to Cajamarca, Peru.

One of her dreams is to help improve her hometown’s economy with aquaponics, a system that allows the cultivation of both fish and vegetables within a controlled ecosystem.

"I’m going back to Peru with knowledge and a lot of dreams."

“I wanted to go out of my country to learn a new language and be able to expand my horizons. Fulbright gave me that opportunity.”
— Netty Malca Pérez